THE cantucci, also called Prato biscuits, are one of the most famous sweets in Tuscany. They are excellent at the end of a meal accompanied with a good glass of wine. Preparing them at home is very simple; you don't need to be an expert pastry chef.
THE cantuccithey are excellent biscuits to give on any occasion. Let's see in detail how to make cantucci at home following our recipe step by step.
How to make cantucci, the ingredients
- 5 organic eggs
- 200 grams of margarine
- 100 grams of lard;
- 300 grams of candied fruit
- 200 grams of raisins;
- 800 grams of sugar;
- 1 grated orange peel
- 1 grated lemon peel
- 1 sachet of cinnamon
- ½ sachet of baking powder
- 1 kg. of flour type 00
- Powdered sugar.
Important recommendation: make sure that the lemon and orange have not undergone chemical treatments
How to make cantucci, the preparation
- Put the raisins in a bowl with warm water to make it invigorate
- Next, take the candied fruit and blend them in the blender, together with the granulated sugar
- After the necessary time, squeeze the raisins, leaving them in a small bowl
- Beat the eggs in a very large bowl then gradually add the margarine, lard, sugar, grated citrus fruits, cinnamon, yeast, flour, yeast, candied fruit, raisins then mix everything well until to mix all the ingredients: pay attention to the insertion of each new ingredient, make sure it blends well with the dough
- If you find it difficult to work the dough, you can add a drop of milk if it is too firm, or some flour if it is too liquid.
- At this point, preheat the oven to 180 degrees, so as to have the right temperature at the time of baking;
- Take some baking pans and line them with a sheet of parchment paper
- With the mixture obtained, make large sausages, lightly flattened and place them at a safe distance in the trays. To ensure that the nooks all have the same shape, you can buy molds for nooks and once the dough is spread out, you can proceed to cut out the shapes all the same. When it is no longer possible to obtain other nooks, you can proceed to knead again for a few seconds, and roll out the dough again, until you have finished all the dough.
- Bake in a hot oven, for about 20 minutes, until they are slightly golden
- Turn off the oven but wait a few minutes before opening the door
- Then remove the trays from the oven and let them cool
- Once completely cooled, sprinkle the biscuits with icing sugar and cut them horizontally, making the cantucci
- Finally, place the cantucci in a serving dish and serve at the table
Useful information: to ensure that i cantucci they all have the same shape, you can buy molds for cantucci and once the dough is stretched you can proceed to cut out the shapes all the same. When it is no longer possible to obtain other nooks, you can proceed to knead again for a few seconds, and roll out the dough again, until you have finished all the dough.