Spinach occupy an important position in the ranking of foods with nutritional and beneficial properties; they have significant amounts of iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, they also bring benefits to the immune system and are effective in case of constipation. They should never be missing in our diet, because they contribute to the general well-being of the body.
Spinach is widely used in Italian and international gastronomy; they can serve as a side dish, be the ingredient of a first course or be a single dish: this is the case with spinach soup. In addition to spinach, the protagonists of this quick and simple recipe that we are about to offer you are lemons and barley. In this regard, let's see how to make a spinach soup following our directions step by step.
Once purchased, spinach can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped in paper bags and its consumption must take place in a short time, 2 or 3 days as they quickly lose their freshness, yellow and become less crunchy.
Spinach soup, the ingredients
- 300 grams of Spinach: frozen ones are fine too
- 250 grams of Barley
- 1 onion
- 3 Lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
Useful recommendations: when buying, make sure the spinach is fresh; when they are a little old they contain nitrites, which have harmful effects on our health. For this reason it is good to check the color which must be a nice uniform green, without yellowish parts and with hard and strong stems.
Spinach soup, the preparation
- Once deprived of the damaged or yellow leaves, wash the spinach several times in cold water, removing the soil well: they should not be left to soak as they would lose some of their nutritional properties
- In a non-stick pan, brown the spinach with a drizzle of oil, the salt and the finely chopped onion.
- When the spinach has browned well, pour a little vegetable broth and cook over medium heat, with a lid, for about 10 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, pour the spinach into the blender and blend using an immersion blender
- Once you have the cream of spinach, put it back on the heat adding the juice of the 3 lemons and the barley. Complete cooking until the barley is ready, adding more broth or hot water a little at a time if necessary
- Serve the soup still hot, adding the grated lemon peel and a pinch of pepper