How to prepare the salt dough: recipes, doses and cooking instructions. Preparations for decorations and children's crafts.
How to prepare the salt dough. Theresalt doughcan be useful in a large number ofDIY jobsThe creations with the salt dough young and old have always been passionate about and the starting ingredients to prepare it are easy to find, indeed, you probably won't have to buy anything: you already have everything at home!
Salt dough, Recipe and doses
Forprepare the salt doughall you have to do is combine the ingredients that follow with thedosesindicate!
- 2 glasses of fine powdered salt
- 2 glasses of warm water
- 4 glasses of flour
- Food coloring (optional, you will need it for color the salt dough)
Theresalt dough recipeit is easy to prepare and extremely economical. Food colors are optional as thesalt doughit can be colored before cooking or painted after.
To get onesalt doughmore malleable and easier to work with, you have to use the so-called “elbow grease” or you can use your food processor. Those who prefer can perfume the salt dough by adding a few drops of essential oil or cooking aromas to the dough.
How to prepare the salt dough
- Mix all the ingredients at doses indicated above.
-Place salt and flour in a container and add the water all at once.
- If you are using a liquid dye, add it to the water making sure that the quantity of liquids does not exceed 2 glasses. The "solid / liquid" ratio to be respected is 6: 2
- Work the dough well with your hands or use the food processor by setting the process for about 5 minutes.
- Work the salt dough until the mixture is homogeneous, malleable and workable: it must be soft to the touch but not stick to the fingers.
- If the salt dough is too muchsticky, add more flour
- If the salt dough is too grainy, add a few drops of water.
How to store the salt dough
The salt dough, not yet molded, is kept in sealed plastic bags, placed in a cellophane film. Forkeep the salt dough softand to prevent this from hardening, it is important to limit contact with the air. Anyone who has a vacuum packing machine can use it: vacuum packing is the most effective means forkeep the salt dough soft.
Salt dough with Thermomix
It is true, col Thermomix and the otherskitchen robotyou can prepare everything, including thesalt dough for children's crafts. Here is the salt dough recipe with Thermomix:
- 350 grams of fine salt
- 350 grams of flour 00
- 200 ml of water
Put the salt in the thermomix and grind it for about 20 seconds at speed 8. You will need to obtain a very fine salt.
Add the flour and water. Knead for 2 minutes using the Thermomix ear which will allow you to obtain onemalleable salt dough.
With the thermomix you can get colored salt dough but only if you add food coloring in the jug.
Colored salt dough
You can color the salt dough with food coloring, even better if natural like tea, squid ink or saffron.
Those who prefer brighter colors can add tempera before mixing, dosing the color according to the intensity they want to achieve.
You can add the food coloring in the mixer or in the preliminary phase of the dough.
- Pour the flour and salt into a large bowl and mix
- Then add the water and knead for about 10 minutes to form a stiff ball of dough: if the dough is sticky or the ball is left to rest, add more flour. If it is too crumbly, add a tablespoon of water at a time until you get the right consistency.
- After you have kneaded the dough well, leave it for about 24 hours.
- Now the salt dough is ready to be modeled, so you can try your hand at your imagination to create many nice decorations
- After modeling the dough, let the dough dry for another 24 hours in a dry place and if possible with beating sun
- Place your ornamental product in the oven for 3-4 hours at a temperature of 100 °
- Remove from the oven and let it rest
There homemade salt dough, colored with natural ingredients and of vegetable / food origin, it can give life to delicious creations to bring to the table. The photo above shows a bread basket made with thedo it yourself salt dough.
How to paint the salt dough
Theresalt dough it can be painted both before and after the creation of tiles. Generally, for greater accuracy, there are those who prefer to color it after making the tiles.
For those who want to preparecolored salt doughwill have to add to the dough:
- tempera colors
- food coloring
Who, on the other hand, wants color the salt dough only after having made the tile, can you use watercolors, acrylic colors, mixed tempera ... You can also use vegetable dyes, in this case, the color will tend to lighten over time.
How to make salt dough sculptures last over time
The compositions made with salt dough can be stored in dry environments: humidity is the worst enemy of salt dough.
To fix the product well, it may be advisable to finish the preparation with transparent paints or acrylic paints. The paint "seals" the salt dough, so the product will last longer.
Scented salt paste
To get onesalt doughmore malleable and easy to work with, you have to use the so-called “elbow grease” or you can use your food processor as described in the paragraph on how to make salt dough with thermomix.
Who, on the other hand, prefers one fragrant salt paste,can do it with one more ingredient! It is possible to perfume the salt dough by adding a few drops of essential oil or cooking aromas to the dough, two natural child-proof solutions.
Cooking the salt dough
Homemade salt dough, cooking
When you have prepared yoursdo it yourself salt dough, all you have to do is make your creations. The jobs, once made, must be dried using thecookingin the oven or, if we are in winter, using the heat of the radiator. Cooking is a fundamental phase to preserve the integrity of the jobs with the salt dough! If the creations retain any residual moisture they will fall apart.
Salt dough cooking in the oven
There cooking the salt dough in the oven it takes very short times: the pasta does not really have to cook but only dry. Set the oven temperature to minimum and leave the door slightly open to help the moisture escape.
In winter, as an alternative to cooking in the oven, you can dry the salt dough jobs on the radiator. Surely this is a longer but lower cost solution.
Creations and crafts for children
We invite you to buy kits with tiles and illustrated books, step by step, to get wonderful DIY jobs for young and old. Once again we would like to recommend the educational kit for the jobs with salt dough from the German company Ravensburger. The kit is very informative, it contains illustrated books on the most suitable creations for children: shapes of little men at work (farmers, workers ...), instructions for making fake vegetables (carrots, pumpkins, trees, cauliflowers, salads ...), instructions for making animals (pigs, sheep, rabbits, chickens ...) and many useful tools in the garden ... obviously in miniature! The kit also contains non-toxic tempera to paint and paint the jobs with salt dough. For all information, please refer to the official Amazon page where the product is offered at a price of 30 euros with free shipping costs.
Other iuseful information and advice
- If you do not use all the pasta in one sitting, wrap it well in cling film and place it in a sealed container then put it in the refrigerator for a maximum of two days.
- You can add food coloring once the dough has been kneaded, just add a few drops of food coloring until you reach the chosen shade.
- A mixer will help you to obtain more homogeneous colors.
- If you want to add liquid color and you don't have a mixer, mix it with water before adding it to the dry ingredients.