We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
L'scudetto grafthas the purpose of obtaining a new plant more robust than the original one. L'scudetto graftit can be operated with excellent chances of success on many woody and semi-woody species. The classic example is given byscudetto graft on roses. The propagation of roses can take place, among other things, withgraftingor with cutting. The rose cutting can be operated from a branch or a leaf, while when talking aboutscudetto graftit is necessary to start from arootstockabout 10 cm in length.
Before proceeding with the instructions to understandhow to make the scudetto graft, we advise you to deepen the topic on what is needed to increase the chances of success of this delicate operation, in this regard we refer you to the article “Grafting, the conditions for engraftment“.
Unlike the split graft of which there are different types, thescudetto graftit's unique. L'scudetto graft, also saidbud graft, can be successfully operated on woody or semi-woody plants. L'scudetto grafton woody plants (such as lemon, orange, eucalyptus….) or woody seeds (grafting of a rose), they have similar procedures.
If you want to graft a citrus plant, we refer you to the articleCitrus fruit grafting. This is how thescudetto graft:
- With the grafting knife, make a 2 cm wide by 3 cm long T-shaped incision on the bark of the rootstock (the branch to be grafted).
- Using the knife, slightly lift the bark.
- Take thegrafting choosing a young and healthy branch, from the variety you have decided to propagate. In the case of semi-woody plants such as roses, the branch must have a diameter of at least 8 mm.
- From the chosen branch, remove the leaves leaving a portion of the petiole of about 1 cm in length.
- Always with the grafting knife, previously disinfected with alcohol, make two incisions, about 2 cm above and below the gem to be removed.
- After making the two cuts (below and above the gem), slide the blade from the upper cut to the lower one, behind the gem. Pick up and remove itscudetto.
- Gently remove, with the help of your fingers, the fibrous part that is stuck behind itscudetto.
- Handle itscudettotaking it by the petiole of the leaf and inserting it into the T-shaped incision made on the rootstock.
- Remove the upper part of the shield (the one that comes out of the cut) and cover with the edges of the bark.
- Secure the shield with raffia, leaving the gem uncovered.
- If after 15 days the petiole of the leaf falls, the graft will take root.
- From the day of grafting, wait 25 days to remove the raffia.
As is clear, we have devoted a great deal of pages toGrafting of fruit trees, this is because the techniques are different and nothing must be left to chance, starting with the cut. To increase the chances of taking root, in addition to the use of a stimulating mastic, it is necessary to make a clean, clean cut without burrs. An unclear cut could cause suffering to the plant and compromise the success of the entire operation. This is why it is recommended to use well-sharpened knives or scissors designed for omega or gem cutting ... The use of the grafting knife is recommended only for those with great practicality and experience. To facilitate the entire operation, i sector professionals now they use special grafting scissors. Grafting scissors are not expensive and on the market there are exclusive ones for a type of cut or more versatile and therefore adaptable to make different types of grafting. Among the various purchase proposals, I would like to point out what appear to be the best value for money grafting scissors:
- Professional grafting scissors - “Tink-sky Professional” - Price € 29.99
- Professional grafting scissors - "Tofern Professional ”- Price € 23.40
These grafting scissors allow you to easily obtain cuts aomega, split and interlocking (U, V and omega cuts), it is also equipped with two additional blades and the classic blades for pruning the plant. Thegrafting scissors mentionedhave similar characteristics. The only differences lie in the manufacturer and in the fact that the more expensive pruning shears allows you to cut more double branches, with a larger diameter than the Tofren scissors which have a maximum opening of 12 mm.
Made of steel and durable plastic. The cutting system for grafting is particularly suitable for grafting fruit plants even if it fits well on woody branches (roses, vines and other ornamental plants). Both prices indicated include free shipping costs.
How to graft a fruit tree?
- Choose rootstock and scion
- Adjust the scissors to the type of cut (and graft) desired
- Cut the scion and the branch of the rootstock where you want to plant the scion
- Join the scion to the rootstock by adding mastic
- Seal with raffia or grafting tape.