With the arrival of summer, the presence of unwanted guests in the house, such as ants, cannot be excluded! These little insects walk undisturbed on the windowsill and go so far as to colonize entire cupboards or kitchens. In this regard we will see in detail how to keep ants away in a decisive way so as not to have to throw away infested fruit and food.
How to keep ants away, prevention
In order not to attract ants into the house, we must take care of the hygiene of the house, which means:
- Do the dishes regularly, after each lunch: it serves to avoid leaving starches in the sink that would attract ants
- In full invasion of ants, clean the kitchen counter with white vinegar every evening
- Wash all surfaces in the house with hot water and white vinegar
- Check all the fixtures and seal any cracks / holes: look at the ant trails, where do they come from? Close their entrances with a little putty or putty. When the entrance has been sealed, wash with warm water and vinegar so as not to attract other ants.
- Wash the floors regularly
- Store food and leftovers (especially sweet ones) in airtight containers
- Take out the trash as often as possible
How to keep ants away, natural repellent
If all this were not enough, we can ward off the ants with the use of special natural repellents: just sprinkle the repellent along the entire perimeter of the house, both inside and outside. Natural repellents are safer especially if there are children or pets in the house.
The most common repellent to ward off ants in a "natural" way involves the use of boric acid. How to use it? Mix a cup of warm water with 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of borax. Dip cotton balls in this mixture and place them along the ant trails.
Chilli is also a very effective natural repellent! Buy concentrates of chillies (rich in capsaicin) and sprinkle them around the perimeter of the house.
How to keep ants away, garden maintenance
Usually those who are invaded by ants live near the countryside; observe your garden and look for any nests. A flood will sweep away the entire nest: fill a bucket with hot water and a biological repellent, pour the mixture right where you have identified the den.
For other natural remedies against ants, we refer you to the article "Natural remedies against ants"