Searches

Graviola, between homegrown properties and crops


ThereGraviola, also known by the name of Guanàbana or Corossole, is the fruit of the plantAnnona muricata. It is a tropical plant native to the low-lying wetlands of the Caribbean. Even if onWikipediawe read that the plant cannot survive the climateMediterraneanwe see that some varieties ofAnnona have been cultivated for a long time in the region of Calabria so much so that for the Calabrians, the Graviolais a very common fruit, commonly called "u nonu "or "anona“ –in fact the name "Graviola”Makes you think more of a cheese!-.

The variety of Calabrian cultivation has a very developed stem and a height that exceeds two meters, on the contrary, the variety that grows in tropical latitudes reaches 8 meters in height. Despite these differences, the fruit of theGraviolait can be described in the same way: thin dark green skin with soft spines, the fruit has a white pulp, soft, juicy and very sweet.

How is theGraviola?
Being very soft, it can be cut in half and enjoyed with a teaspoon. Those who love smoothies can consume it with cold milk. More elaborate preparations see the so-called "annona cake ", ricotta and annona pies and the cooked cream and annona tart in syrup. With theGravioladifferent desserts can be prepared such as ice cream, sorbet, babà, jam ...

If theGraviolacan be found in different seasons, theannonaItaliana provides for a very precise harvest calendar: the variety of the species "Annona cherimola "also called "Annona di Reggio De.c.o "ripens between the end of August and the beginning of September, so the seasonal fruit can be found between September and mid-December when the harvest ends.

The average weight of the Graviola it is about 210 g even if the fruit can exceed one kilogram! The soft white-cream pulp accounts for 80% of the weight of the fruit, the remaining 20% ​​of the weight is given by the peel and numerous seeds with a characteristic black color.

There Graviola is famous for several property beneficial: antitumor properties, beneficial effects in countering Parkinson's disease, antidepressant properties, antibacterial actions ... It would seem that some bioactive components contained within the fruit would be able to counteract the action of cancer cells without affecting healthy cells. The antidepressant properties would be attributed to the alkaloids contained in the fruit pulp. The antibiotic action would be carried out by the large amount of edible antioxidants in the fruit.

You may also be interested in this article of ours with information, properties, recipes and suggested books on quinoa.

You might also be interested in

Antioxidant foods



Video: Anticancer properties of the Graviola (October 2021).