The recipe that we will propose today is the strudel, a typical dessert of German origin.
Since it is autumn we will fill our dessert with seasonal fruit, that is grapes and apples. Let's see how to make it homemade strudel following our recipe step by step.
Homemade strudel, what we need
- 400 grams of wholemeal flour
- 4 organic eggs
- A cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 130 grams of butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 500 grams of grapes
- 500 grams of apples
- 1 vanilla pod
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt
Homemade strudel, preparation of the dough
- Pour the flour into a container trying to form a small mountain with a hole in the middle
- In the center pour the whole eggs, water and salt
- Start working the dough until it is homogeneous and without lumps: the operation will take a few minutes
- Then place it on a work surface and roll it out with a rolling pin
- Add the oil to make the dough more elastic and form a ball
- Let it rest for half an hour indoors
Preparation of the filling for the apple strudel
- Take the apples, peel them, cut them into slices then put them in the mixer together with the grapes without seeds inside
- In a separate bowl, work the egg yolks with the help of a whisk and add the brown sugar and butter
- Once everything is blended, add the mixed fruit, vanilla, cinnamon and egg whites, which must be whipped until stiff.
- Take the ball of dough and knead it on a surface trying to give it a rectangular shape, that is the typical one of strudel
- As soon as the dough becomes thin, but not too thin, you have to pour the filling on it, leaving 15 cm free in the edges of the dough: with a spoon try to level the filling.
- Wrap the strudel on itself and with the help of a kitchen brush, brush it with butter
- Put it in a mold, preferably the one you use for plum cakes, and let it cook for about forty minutes in a preheated oven at 200 degrees.
- When the strudel turns golden, remove it from the oven, cut it into slices and serve accompanied by a glass of fresh juice.
If you are a lover ofstrudel, absolutely to try the rustic one: lo Vegetable Strudel.