The composter is the most effective means for home composting; through a process of oxygenation and decomposition, it is able to transform organic waste into natural fertilizer for ornamental and fruit plants. Why not make it with your own hands? In this regard we will give you the necessary information to make a homemade composter.
Homemade composter, what we need
- Medium-sized bin (adjust based on how many people are in the house)
- Lid to seal the bin properly once the compost has been inserted.
- A bag of expanded clay into balls
- Fine mesh plastic net
- A drill
- Spun iron covered in plastic
- A saucer
- Plastic clothespins
Homemade composter, lper procedure
- Drill holes in the bottom and walls of the bin with the drill: the holes must be well spaced, so that the air can circulate evenly
- Once this is done, cover the inside of the bin with the plasticized thin mesh net
- Secure the net with the spun iron by passing it through the holes you made in the bin. Alternatively, you can fix the net with plastic clips
- Form a layer of about 10 cm of expanded clay into balls on the bottom: the layer will be used to prevent the compost from rotting
- Finally, spread the earthworms on the bottom and the homemade composter is ready
Homemade composter, what to put
What are the waste to be sent to the composter? What can be composted and what cannot? The list of waste suitable for lcomposting is available in the article "How to prepare compost".
By following the right directions in two or three months you can start using compost. Always remember to move the mass to allow the degradation process to take place correctly