There piadina, recipe of the Romagna culinary tradition, has very ancient origins; it was considered the food of the poor since simple ingredients such as water, flour and salt were used to prepare it. The dough of piadina it looks a lot like that of the classic Neapolitan pizza; the difference lies in the cooking system and in the addition of lard which can be optional. Over the years, the recipe for piadina it has been slightly modified but still remains a simple food to prepare and tasty to taste. In this regard we will illustrate you how to make piadina following our recipe step by step.
How to make piadina, the ingredients for 4 wraps
- 500 grams of flour
- 200 ml of water: milk is fine instead
- 2 grams of baking soda
- 75 grams of lard: you can use the same amount of oil instead
How to make piadina, the preparation
- Put the flour in a large bowl then make a hole in the center and add the baking soda, salt, lard (or oil) and water a little at a time as you mix, using your hands: water or the milk must be at room temperature
- After having mixed all the ingredients well, we can mix better on the pastry board until you get a consistent and firm dough
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and put it to rest for half an hour
- After letting the dough rest, divide it into loaves of about 180 grams: this amount of dough you will need to get 4 wraps with a diameter of about 25 cm
- Roll out each loaf with a floured rolling pin until you get a disk about 5 millimeters high: use the contour of a plate to have a circular shape
- Heat a non-stick pan and cook your wraps on both sides rather quickly and over high heat: about two minutes on each side
- Prick the piadina with a fork and mash it with the prongs
As soon as the piadina is cooked, you can fill it with all the ingredients you prefer.