L'homotoxicology is a current of homeopathy that bases its therapeutic recommendations on homotoxins, alleged toxic factors that would be the cause of disease.
L'homotoxicology was born about 50 years ago, following the studies of Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg (Herford, 1905 - Zurich, 1985) who formulated the composition of complex homeopathic medicines in decimal dilution, introducing new substances into the homeopathic pharmacopoeia and elaborating the new body of doctrine, named Anti-Homotoxic Homeopathy or even homotoxicology.
Reckeweg developed the Homotoxicosis Table, a synoptic picture of pathologies, where any alteration of organs or systems is correlated with what in Homeopathy is called the patient's life force.
There Reckeweg table includes 6 stages: 2 Humoral phases (which represent pathological situations with favorable prognosis), 2 phases of the Fundamental Substance (which represent situations where the homotoxin load is localized first at the matrix level and then at the cellular level) and 2 Cellular phases (which represent pathological situations where the prognosis is poor as it is associated with a lesional alteration generated by poor reactivity)
The 6 phases in detail are:
- Phase of excretion: toxins are incorporated and expelled with physiological secretions without coming into contact with the epithelial cells of the mucous membranes;
- Stage of inflammation (or reaction): the body neutralizes and expels toxins that have entered the flow system thanks to the inflammation process;
- Filing phase: the body sets aside at the connective level the toxins that the emunctors have not been able to expel in order to restore balance;
- Impregnation phase: the body channels toxins at an organic level towards a "place of least resistance", an expression of a constitutional or iatrogenic meiopragia. The toxins incorporated in noble parenchyma thus begin to deconstruct the cell by attacking its enzymatic mechanisms.
- Degeneration phase: the persistence of the accumulation of impregnation toxins leads to damage to the intracellular organelle and the consequent degeneration of the tissues;
- Dedifferentiation phase: the chronic inflammatory stimulation of the cell can lead to its differentiation into abnormal cells which can thus take over the whole organism in the meantime weakened at the level of organic defenses.
Dr. Reckeweg, founder of Homotoxicology
Reckeweg, starting from these phases, introduces the concept of vicarage, defining it as the displacement of the disease from one organ or one tissue to another.
Vicariation can have a positive outcome (regressive vicarage) when the natural healing process completes successfully or a negative outcome (progressive vicarage) when the disease becomes chronic.
Objective of homotoxicological therapies is therefore to trigger the regressive vicarization process, with the reactivation of all detoxifying functions, starting with the excretion of homotoxins.
In order to start the detoxification process Reckeweg introduces four new types of remedies to integrate classic homeopathic remedies:
1) Intermediate catalysts: it is a therapy based on homeopathized quinones and on the factors of the Krebs cycle to be used in the case of energy deficiency, typical of pathologies such as chronic-degenerative diseases.
2) Nosodes: preparations derived from secretions, diseased tissues and microbial cultures suitably sterilized, rendered inactive and diluted as per the practice of homeopathic pharmacopoeia with the aim of triggering an immunological action.
3) Suis organotherapy: through the use of homeopathized pork organs, the aim is to obtain a trophic action on diseased tissues.
4) Homeopathic allopathic: they are conventional homeopathic drugs that can be used in the treatment of jatrogenic diseases or in the treatment of symptomatological pictures similar to the toxicological pictures of the same conventional drugs.
Homotoxicology: what diseases would it help cure
L'homotoxicology, according to supporters of its validity, can provide help in the treatment of diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract, allergies, skin diseases, gastrointestinal problems, bone and joint diseases and hormonal pathologies.
Homotoxicology: scientific studies
Unfortunately, the meta-studies carried out so far have not found any evidence of the effectiveness of Dr. Reckeweg which are therefore first of any scientific foundation.
The benefits obtained by some patients would therefore be attributed solely to the placebo effect.